eBay Selling Mistakes
I search eBay frequently looking for toy trains for my collection. I am amazed at some of the things sellers do in their auctions. With a bit of thought, many sellers could easily get better results.
I think some of common eBay selling mistakes aren't actually mistakes, they are due to laziness. Sellers just don't care, or think it takes too much time to do it right.
I doubt you fall into the lazy or apathetic camp because you are reading this. If you make these mistakes it is probably because some aspects of eBay selling seem overly complicated.
In this article I will cover a few of the most common mistakes made by eBay sellers, and give you some advice to help you avoid them.
The most common eBay selling mistakes.
- Using colored backgrounds that make it harder to read the text in your eBay auctions.
- Using animated pictures "" to spruce up your eBay listings.
- Charging extremely high shipping fees.
- Writing meaningless or cute titles. I have seen titles like "choo choo woo woo train set, and "old train thing."
- Little or no text describing the item. Text helps eBay searchers find your item, and lets bidders know what they are bidding on.
- Overly wordy descriptions. I don't mean the actual item description, but rather the "rules" of the auction. At best this extra text is ignored, but it can also be confusing and drive bidders away.
- Not including images, or telling bidders to email for a photo, or stating pictures will be added later.
- Using poor quality pictures.
- Including HUGE pictures that take minutes to download. This is a common mistake. No one will wait for your pictures to load.
For a quick lesson on selling on eBay see Learning How To Sell On eBay.
For detailed information about writing your title and descriptions, see eBay Selling Summary.
Improve Your eBay Auctions - 44 Common Mistakes Found In Many eBay Auctions Explained
For information about managing your eBay photos get the Free eBay Images Report.
PS. Take the free eBay Seller's Quiz, to learn how to avoid other common eBay mistakes.
Many of the articles and free reports here on IWantCollectibles were originally sent to readers of my Antiques and eBay Newsletter. Not all articles make it onto the website, and readers also get notices of free reports and special offers.
Most Popular Articles on IWantCollectibles
- Finding Products To Sell On eBay
How to find products to sell on eBay is the most common question I get from my readers. This page has links to all the articles and reports I've written about finding eBay products.
- How To Be An Antique Dealer
The best way to start an antiques or collectibles business. Part 1 of a five part series on being an antiques dealer.
- Understanding eBay Changes 2011
This page covers eBay changes and has links to all articles on IWantCollectibles about working within the changes. Sign up for my free newsletter for articles covering new changes as they are announced.
- Tips for Starting an eBay Consignment Business
Selling on consignment is the perfect way to start on eBay. This article is an introduction to consignment selling, and explains what you'll need to be successful. First in a series on eBay Consignment.
- Shopping For eBay Products At Garage Sales
Thirteen tips for garage sale shopping. Part one of a two part series on garage and yard sales.
- Finding New Products for eBay
If you want to sell new products you need to concentrate on items others are not selling. You need to find sources other sellers are unaware of. That is not hard to do. Here's a list of articles to get you started on the right path.
- eBay Auction Category, Title And Keyword Advice
A series of articles about getting your items found on eBay. Covers category selection, eBay keyword rules, and researching keywords. Finally you'll learn how to write an informative, keyword rich title.