Researching Antique Values
What's it worth? Where can I find the value of my antique?
These are all too familiar questions. Unfortunately these questions are not easy to answer. Most people think anything old is valuable. This is wrong.
Many things effect antiques and collectibles values. Here's a short list of some items that influence prices.
Determinants of Value
- In order for antiques and collectibles to have value, there must be a demand. People have to want the item in order for it to have value.
- A secondary consideration with demand is liquidity. Some antiques are extremely difficult to sell. They are hard to place values on, or it is difficult to find buyers. The harder it is to sell an item, the lower the value will be.
- In addition to demand, scarcity plays a role. The more people chasing a small number of items, the higher the value.
- A big part of the value of any antique or collectible is condition. For example a common but perfect "10" baseball card will bring three to five times (or more) the value of the same card with wear or poor print registration. On the other hand, some collectibles like coins, stamps, and toys will bring higher prices for factory mistakes. Factory errors can increase the value of collectibles.
- Location also effects antique values. Prices on the east coast are generally higher than prices in the mid west. Some of this price difference is due to there being fewer prospects, and some is due to attitude differences.
All the items above effect the value of any antique or collectible. If you are looking to sell something, search on eBay for similar items. Here's a page on Using eBay Search.
Price guides and items for sale are other options. Not great options because unless you actually see an item sell, you cannot be sure it is worth the asking price. Here's a page about Antique Price Guides.
You see, antique values are subjective. The only way to get really good at determining values is to immerse yourself in antiques and collectibles.
One of the best ways to learn about antiques and collectibles is eBay Consignment selling. When you sell antiques for others, you don't have to risk your money buying items you aren't familiar with.
PS. Here's an article about Learning Antiques and Collectibles Values.
PPS Here's some Antiques Appraisal Advice
"The IWantCollectibles Guide to Ebay Sales"
is now available for immediate download.
Many of the articles and free reports here on IWantCollectibles were originally sent to readers of my Antiques and eBay Newsletter. Not all articles make it onto the website, and readers also get notices of free reports and special offers.
Most Popular Articles on IWantCollectibles
- Finding Products To Sell On eBay
How to find products to sell on eBay is the most common question I get from my readers. This page has links to all the articles and reports I've written about finding eBay products.
- How To Be An Antique Dealer
The best way to start an antiques or collectibles business. Part 1 of a five part series on being an antiques dealer.
- Understanding eBay Changes 2011
This page covers eBay changes and has links to all articles on IWantCollectibles about working within the changes. Sign up for my free newsletter for articles covering new changes as they are announced.
- Tips for Starting an eBay Consignment Business
Selling on consignment is the perfect way to start on eBay. This article is an introduction to consignment selling, and explains what you'll need to be successful. First in a series on eBay Consignment.
- Shopping For eBay Products At Garage Sales
Thirteen tips for garage sale shopping. Part one of a two part series on garage and yard sales.
- Finding New Products for eBay
If you want to sell new products you need to concentrate on items others are not selling. You need to find sources other sellers are unaware of. That is not hard to do. Here's a list of articles to get you started on the right path.
- eBay Auction Category, Title And Keyword Advice
A series of articles about getting your items found on eBay. Covers category selection, eBay keyword rules, and researching keywords. Finally you'll learn how to write an informative, keyword rich title.